bad news, good news
kas 'tay napaliiw ni kabsat a jake, maliwayak manen ti agipanablaag. awan maikur-it online. ngem pakakumikomak met ngamin ti agikurkur-it offline. ta adu ti pangted a kontribusion para bannawag ngamin.
adtoy man a mangiblagak laengen iti bad news ken good news a nabasak itay aglukatak iti inq7.net itay bigbigat:
unaek ti bad news, makapabakuar nga agpayso a damag daytoy. di pay la ngarud makimat ti no asino wenno siasinoda a taga-malacañang a nangaprob iti daytoy:
Palace restores permit to log in 36,000 ha in Sierra Madre
Last updated 05:26am (Mla time) 08/13/2006
Published on page A14 of the August 13, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer
LUCENA CITY — A license to cut trees in more than 36,000 hectares of land in Sierra Madre was approved by unidentified Palace officials after it had been cancelled earlier by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, according to environment groups fighting logging in the logged over mountain.
The Quezon Provincial Multisectoral Forest Protection Council (QMSFPC) and two other environment NGOs said a forestry contract of the Timberland Forest Products Inc. (TFPI), owned by Bulacan logger Wilson Ng, was reinstated on orders of Palace officials.
Johnny Glorioso, QMSFPC committee on information chair, said he was stunned when he got the information from DENR regional executive director Antonio Principe during the launching of Green Philippine Highways in Lucban town Thursday.
“The reinstatement has been recently approved with finality by Malacañang though TFPI has yet to start its operation due to some (unsubmitted) requirements,” Glorioso quoted Principe.
He said the controversial Integrated Forest Management Agreement (Ifma), or license to cut trees, has long been opposed by residents and local officials of Real, Infanta and General Nakar towns. “And now here comes this final Malacañang decision allowing it to proceed operations.”
The 25-year Ifma, covering 36,660 hectares in the Quezon province part of Sierra Madre, was granted to Ng on Nov. 12, 2002, during the term of former Environment Secretary Heherson Alvarez.
Alvarez’s successor, Elisea Gozun, revoked the Ifma on Jan. 13, 2004, saying “fraud, misrepresentation and omission of material facts” surrounded the process by which the DENR granted the Ifma contract.
In a past interview with Ng, he admitted that he appealed his case to Malacañang.
Based on DENR records, TFPI’s Ifma was reinstated by the Office of the President on March 4, 2005, four months after the tragic flash floods and landslides in the three Quezon towns.
The decision was immediately protested and contested by residents, local officials and environmentalist groups.
The Palace held back the implementation of the decision for further study.
Lawyer Asis Perez, executive director of Tanggol Kalikasan, a public interest legal defense center for the protection of the environment, and Catholic priest Pete Montallana, Task Force Sierra Madre chair, both confirmed Glorioso’s information.
Montallana described Malacañang’s approval as “nauseating.”
“It seems that Malacañang has not learned the lessons left by the 2004 calamitous flash floods and landslides,” Montallana said.
Perez said they were inclined to believe that President Macapagal-Arroyo had nothing to do with the reinstatement of Ng’s controversial Ifma.
“President Arroyo has cancelled all logging permits. But then suddenly here comes this Ifma approval. We will continue to vigorously oppose it,” Perez said.
The head of DENR-Quezon took a safe distance from the controversy.
“I know nothing about that. Ask the DENR central office,” he told the Inquirer.
The environmentalist groups vowed to continue to protest any form of logging in Sierra Madre.
“Any form of logging in Sierra Madre is abominable,” Montallana said.
The Social Action Center of the Prelature of Infanta has long been opposing not only TFPI’s Ifma but also the continuous logging operation of Green Circle Properties and Resources Inc., a real estate development company said to be owned by lawyer Romeo Roxas. Delfin T. Mallari Jr., Inquirer Southern Luzon
ket ti good news (kastoy koma amin ti panagpuspuso ken panagpampanunot ti amin a bilionario. a saanda la nga agpatingga a filthy fucking rich dumb fucks a bimmakbaknang ken bumakbaknang la nga awan pagbaknanganna):
Gokongwei gives away P10.25B to education
By Vic Agustin
Last updated 02:23am (Mla time) 08/13/2006
Published on page A1 of the August 13, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer
TAIPAN John Gokongwei Jr. marked his 80th birthday on Friday by donating an unprecedented P10.25 billion to education and other causes.
Gokongwei surprised his children and business associates by announcing that he would donate his entire personal shareholdings in JG Summit Holdings—equivalent to 25 percent of the listed conglomerate, or about P10.25 billion—to charity.
“Life has been good to me,” Gokongwei told over 1,000 business associates and friends who packed the Gokongwei-owned Crowne Plaza hotel in Ortigas. “I want to give back the blessings that I have received.”
Gokongwei and his wife, Elizabeth, control half of JG Summit, which had a market capitalization of P41.46 billion as of Friday.
The taipan’s conjugal half would accrete to the Gokongwei Brothers Foundation, which already owns 16.61 percent of JG Summit.
Gokongwei said the considerable paperwork for the transfer would take at least two weeks.
Foundation biggest shareholder
Once completed, the transfer would make the Gokongwei foundation, at 41.6 percent, the biggest shareholder of the food, airline, telephone and real estate conglomerate.
In peso terms, the additional transfer effectively places over P17 billion of the wealth of Gokongwei, who can be said to be the local Warren Buffett, for disposal to his favorite beneficiaries, mainly schools.
The newest beneficiary, which will get P50 million, will be the University of San Carlos in Cebu, where Gokongwei put himself through high school during the war years while buying and selling goods on his bicycle.
That rusty bike sowed the seeds that blossomed into an Asian business empire that is also celebrating its 50th year.
Saying he had already exceeded by 10 years the average life span of Filipinos, Mr. John announced that he wants to devote more time to “philanthropy, reading and traveling.”
In the last five years, the Gokongwei Brothers Foundation has released over P400 million to various schools, chiefly to De La Salle University, where Gokongwei acquired an MBA degree, and Ateneo de Manila University.
Gokongwei currently chairs the foundation, but the taipan said he would eventually relinquish management to professionals. Its trustees include accounting guru Washington Sycip and retired Bangko Sentral Governor Gabriel C. Singson.
To keep the multi-billion endowment intact, the foundation relies on the cash dividends generated by JG Summit for its operations.
Thanking neighbors, professors
At the birthday celebration, Gokongwei also thanked his Cebu neighbors, Mario Mendozona and Ramero Valenzuela, who kept an eye on his orphaned family during the difficult war years, as well as his MBA professors in La Salle—Cesar Virata, Vicente Paterno and the late Edgardo Tordesillas—and early business partners Ignacio Gotao and Dr. Pacifico Yap for his success.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success,” Gokongwei said, quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson.